Skip to Content

Springtime in Amsterdam

amsterdam-canal.jpgA sunny spring day in Amsterdam is as good as it gets. Sunlight sparkles on the canals, cafes set up outdoor tables, flower stalls bloom with color. I could spend weeks strolling this picturesque city in the Netherlands, dodging bicyclists and admiring the architecture, but with only a few days to explore, John and I hit the highlights.

 

Best Hotels in Amsterdam

What to Do in Amsterdam

macbikegr.jpgA one-hour boat cruise is a great introduction to the ttree-shaded canals (165 of them) lined with narrow, 17th-century brick buildings. Or you can rent a bicycle and join the crowds on well-marked bike lanes. Virtually everybody rides; teenagers, nattily-dressed businessmen, and women with briefcases, moms and dads carting kids to school. The other nifty way to get around is by tram. For 1.60 euros you can ride almost anywhere in the heart of the city.

Mostly we walked. Narrow streets and quaint bridges led us to the floating flower market on the Singel Canal. The series of shops shows a staggering array of flowers, plants, seeds and bulbs, especially tulips. And if you are there during tulip season, make sure to add an extra day to visit Keukenhof and see the neverending tulip fields.

melkmeid.jpgThe famous Rijksmuseum is under renovation, to be completed in 2013, but we saw the stars of its Masterpiece Collection: the Rembrandts and Vermeers, intricate silver pieces, fine Delftware, and some remarkable dollhouses.

The Van Gogh Museum looks like a concrete bunker, but inside it’s light and open, with some 200 of the artist’s works displayed in the context of his life and times.

At the Anne Frank House, the mood is somber as visitors troop through the annex where young Anne and seven other Jews were hidden during World War II. Discovered and captured by the Nazis, the girl died in a concentration camp, but her published diary became the basis for a foundation dedicated to tolerance. The tour is profoundly moving, a must for Amsterdam visitors. Make sure that you buy your tickets in advance on the website. Here is how it works: 80% of the tickets are released exactly two months in advance. The remaining 20% are released on this website on the day itself at 9 AM, but don’t rely on getting tickets on the day you are there.

When you tire of museums, you can drop in on a “brown cafe.” In these dark, cozy pubs you can order beer and, perhaps, marijuana (it’s legal, and regulated, here). For coffee and a crepe, we stopped at David and Goliath, a cafe next to the Amsterdam Historical Museum. Its sheltered courtyard is a restful spot off a busy shopping street. For real meals we liked Pianeta Terra for creative Italian food; a good lunch (thick club sandwich and paprika soup) at Restaurant Patou; and Maxie’s, near our hotel. Amsterdam is also noted for its great Indonesian restaurants.

The Hotel Fita, in a quiet museum district neighborhood, is small, clean and comfortable. The cost was reasonable: 135 euros per night, which included a full breakfast of eggs, toast, fruit, pastries, coffee and tea. Click here or more ideas on where to stay in Amsterdam.

iamsterdam.jpgPrices are steep in Amsterdam, with the exchange rate not favoring the dollar, but you can save in several ways. Picnic in beautiful Vondenpark, buy an I Am Amsterdam card (good for 24, 48, or 72 hours) for free admission to 26 museums and other attractions. Listen to street organs and free carillon concerts, visit the churches. And walking costs only shoe leather.

 

If you want to explore more of Holland in the Spring, you can also take a river cruise from Amsterdam.

 

 

Kim

Tuesday 27th of May 2008

Great advice about the card. I'm planning on moving to The Netherlands within the next year. I'm really looking forward to it.

Comments are closed.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Europe Up Close

Share your love for Europe!

Help spread the word. You're awesome for doing it!