10 Top Sights in Germany

The beautiful country of Germany holds many treasures for the visitor; here are what I consider the top 10 sights in Germany.

10 Top Sights in Germany

koenigssee_alps.jpgThe Alps
If you head south of Munich, you will find some of the most beautiful scenery Germany has to offer. The Alps stretch over most of Southern Bavaria and include breathtakingly beautiful mountain ranges, green pastures, rivers, and picturesque German towns such as Fussen and Garmisch-Partenkirchen. This mountainous region is also home to many of Germany’s castles and a multitude of parks for hiking, biking and camping.

The Baltic Coast

The coast of the Baltic Sea offers a contrasting combination of scenic pleasures from sandy beaches to jagged cliffs. Sleepy coastal towns dot the coastline offering a more relaxed and slower pace of life than in the rest of Germany.
Mecklenberg-Western Pomerania and Schleswig-Holstein

black-forest.jpg The Black Forest
In keeping with its dark name, this vast forest was feared by ancient Romans and Celts as a haven for ghosts, wild animals and barbarians. The Black Forest is now home to artisans (notably, watch makers and glass blowers), restaurants, and a considerable network of walking paths.
Baden-Württemberg

brandenburger-tor_01.jpg Brandenburg Gate
Built in 1791, the Brandenburg Gate has become a symbol of Berlin’s past and is one of the top places to see in the world. Prussian parades and German armies marched through its threshold. Napoleon marched his troops through its columns before his defeat in Russia. Barricades were erected around the gates when the Berlin Wall was constructed., but in 1989 the Brandenburg Gate was reopened and traffic now passes through it every day. Over the years, it has become a proud monument to German history.

Find the best prices on hotels near the Brandenburg Gate
Berlin

cologne-cathedral.jpg Koln (Cologne) Cathedral
An historical landmark, this massive cathedral towers over the city of Cologne (Koln). The construction of the Cologne Cathedral took place from the 13th through 19th centuries and is a wonderful example of Gothic architecture. Amazingly, the cathedral remained largely undamaged during World War II.

Find the best prices on hotels near the Cologne Cathedral
Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia

Heidelberg Castle

The romantic town of Heidelberg boasts one of Europe’s finest castles. The 600 year-old structure lies along the banks of the Neckar River, and contains styles of both Gothic and Renaissance architecture and design. Heidelberg Castle also plays host to the world’s largest wine vat at 55,000 gallons.

Find the best prices on hotels near Heidelberg Castle
Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg

Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany one of the best castles in the world Neuschwanstein Castle
Built between 1869 and 1886 by King Ludwig II of Bavaria, this stunning fairy tale castle sits perched high atop the mountain range near Füssen and is one of the top castles in the Germany. Neuschwanstein Castle has been used as a summer home for royal friends and family including the famous composer Richard Wagner, whose piano still occupies one of the rooms.

The River Rhine

Because of its stunning beauty, the Rhine and its regions are among the most popular travel destinations in Germany. The riverside towns along the Rhine afford ample opportunities to experience German culture. Hiking trails, cathedrals, and cities such as Bonn and Düsseldorf inhabit the Lower Rhine. The Middle Rhine region, best known for its wine production and museums, has long been the inspiration for poets and painters. The area from Mainz to Karlsruhe is home to many of Germany’s castles, historical towns, and the Black Forest.
Sanssouci

Built in 1744 by Frederick the Great, this small palace in Potsdam has traditionally been used to showcase fine and performing arts. Today visitors can roam around the Sanssouci’s 12 elegantly decorated rooms and nearby parks. There are also other historical sites and attractions nearby the palace that make for a full day of sightseeing.
Potsdam, Brandenberg

glockenspiel_180.jpg Marienplatz, Munich
This beautiful square in the heart of the Old Town is home to the town hall and its world-famous carillon (Glockenspiel), which has existed since 1908. The mechanical figures delight the audience on the Marienplatz square below by dancing to chimes at 11 am and midday throughout the year. During Spring and Summer there is an extra performance at 5 pm.

Find the best prices on hotels near Marienplatz

Share on StumbleUponDigg thisShare on RedditShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on YummlyEmail this to someonePrint this page

Comments

1. says

I have visited germany many time and like it very much. Please write me about
    the beautiful places of the germany.

2. William Fehlinger says

I have been to Germany many times and hopefully when th economic problems of the world are solved will make many more trips there.

3. Michael Heiser says

I look at many pictures, I have dreamed from a young age, I have been a proud young boy to a old man, I was German, and now the Docors claim my Heritage is mixed with Viking’s, It feels like I have missed much of my life, as now the calls of my creator seem to be getting closer and my dreams of seeing my so proud country is slipping away. May the Pride, Dignity, continue on and possiably someone will open the blood line of my history. May you all not forget your Dignity, as the German and the Vicking had respect for each other in the means of their way with the Land and Sea createdd the Pride for this young boy to this old man. May God Speed your future and you Continue to Develope your Pride of who you are.

4. Claire Tarelli says

I am interested in knowing about a lighting project in a German city if anybody knows about this? It involves shadows somehow, so you can see your outline projected against buildings, etc. If anybody out there knows anything about this, could you please email me a web link or at least the name of the city in question?
    Many thanks!

5. says

There are several Light and Shadow shows throughout Germany. The main one that is very famous occurs in Berlin and along the The Rhine area. From Frankfurt, it is also visible in Mainz-Koblenz-Cologne, which is near Koblins. The show is entitled “The Rhines In Flames” and it occurs 3-4 times per year.

There is a show in July, the main show that most people attend is the 2nd Saturday of August or the 3rd Saturday in September. There is also a show in Heidelberg that has lights and an opera in August. I think it is entitled “Student Prince”, where they light up a castle and present the opera. There are also several Rock & Roll shows, with Light & Shadow shows within their presentations. I hope this is helpful.

6. crystal hoppstatter says

i would like to know if you could tell me if there are any other hoppstATTER left in germany and in what towns

7. Vanessa Hinge says

I am doing a cruise down the Rhine River from Amsterdam to Budapest in mid october and am not certain as to what to pack for the weather. Can you please give me some advice. Also, what key places along the way should I ensure I stop at.

8. Terri Fogarty says

We were in Germany last October and the weather was brisk, mainly in the mid 40’s and high 50s. I would take a warm coat and scarves. It might be windy, so gloves and a hat would be good as well. We had some warmer days, but always needed a coat. We had one rainy day, but the weather was generally sunny.

9. Noreen Armstrong says

We are stopping over in Frankfurt on the 22/7/09 & was wondering if you could recommended the best sites to visit in our short stop over of 4 days. We would like to book a tour of the best venues that would interest tourists & were would we book that from? Appreciate your suggestions thankyou John.

10. Terri Fogarty says

Hi John,
    Frankfurt is a big city, so there is lots to see. You can look at the Frankfurt tourism site for ideas.

One thing that we Like to do is to take the Hop-on hop-off bus. It is not expensive and takes you to the main sights in the city. And, make sure you get the Super-Saver card to save money all through the city. Another idea is to take a short river cruise.
    We were in Frankfurt for one day last year and wished we had more time to explore the city.

11. Lanette Cyr says

Been to Germany 4 times,loved it .looking forward to going again Have had exchange students from Germany also.

12. Richard T Chance says

Love Germany, the people, the culture and look foward to visiting every two (2) years. Was stationed in Germany in US Army married a lovely German Lady and we visit relatives frequently in both Germany and them in the USA. The food and beir (beer) is super too!!!

13. cebestine says

i m going to germany on my own (not thru tourism) for the first time and for a short period of 4 days.
    can anybod out there help me finding out which places i must visit and wat things shud i keep in mind?

thanx for generousity u will show.

14. Terri Fogarty says

Hi Cebestine,

A lot depends on what you like to do and see. In just 4 days, I probably wouldn’t go to more than two cities. Berlin is an amazing city with very modern and very historic areas. From there you could take a short train ride to Potsdam, a beautiful, quaint town, also filled with history and beautiful architecture. It also has a beautiful Palace. I love Potsdam!
    But, every part of Germany is interesting., and quite lovely.

15. Barbara Burdell says

wondering if someone would help by giving us a phone number in Germany for a lutheran chuch in pommene or Hamburg Germany as we are researching fmaily members who came from Germany Or the American Counserlet (spelling off) Govermant telephone number where we could get a start in our surch. Thank you for your time and effort Barbara

16. Jason says

They forgot about the Mosel River. I think a trip along the Mosel is more beatuiful than the Rhine. Plus if you travel the Mosel you have to stop at Chochem to vist the Castle.

17. Michael Hester says

I am somewhere in Afghanistan and am going to Germany for my two weeks leave. My plan is to go very light and do a lot of walking around the country. I would like to see some of the whole counrty, is this doable? What are some have to see spots? I would also like to see the “real” Germany” and its people in the small villages in the countryside. The last thing is about lodging, are the hosstles the way to go or not? Thanks for the input, Mike.

18. Terri Fogarty says

Hi Michael,
    I have been to Germany several times and I love the beauty of this country. The people have been warm and generous. My favorite cites are: Berlin, with a day trip to Potsdam. I really love Potsdam, a very historically important city with the beautiful San Soucci.castle. I also love Wurzburg, a vary charming town with lots to see. Regensburg and Augsburg are two small towns that have a lot of history as well as Charm, and Erfurt is an amazing city. I found Dresden beautifully rebuilt to look like it did before the war. There is so much to see, you will never be bored. Read the posts on these cities on our site and you can decide which ones you can’t miss.
    I think that if you are traveling light, hostels are a great way to go in Germany. They are clean and inexpensive. The train system is fantastic; very clean and efficient. If you have any more questions, email me at terrif@europeupclose.com

19. Gertraud Domber says

Hi to all, I was born and raised in München, Germany and left there in 1954 at the tender age of 20. I have learned many things about my home town that I did not know at the time. Every time I go back home for a visit I discover something new. But it just is not the same as it was when I was young but still beautiful. Gert Domber, Nampa Idaho

20. Jeff Dobbins says

Been dying for a return trip to Germany after many years. Think you’ve just tipped the scales. Thanks